Welcome Along on My Journey -- Please Enjoy & Come Back Again

Welcome and enjoy. To look at any painting or photo please double click on the picture to take a closer look and if you'd like to purchase please email me at joanne@neelygomez.com

I welcome your comments and hope that as we journey together you will find, as I do, that it's more fun making a journey along with others and with each new work or adventure there is also growth and expansion. Come back again soon.



Saturday, July 21, 2018

Catching Up Summer 2018

Since my last update the end of May my husband and I took a trip up to Mora in Northern New Mexico to spend a day Memorial Weekend with our adopted family spending a couple of night at the El Pueblo Lodge in Taos. We ate breakfast at Michael's Kitchen which was packed with people and lots of "bikers" as the annual Red River Run for Veteran's was that weekend also. We had a wonderful, relaxing time and enjoyed visiting some galleries there saying hello to some friends and admiring the beautiful artwork as well as local scenery. Returning home and getting back into our regular routine I sold my 8"x10" oil painting of "Sacred Santuario del Chimayo" to a friend who has a special connection to this church, having a relative buried there underneath the tree in the front. I may be painting a larger painting of the church as a commission for her.

A few days later I sold my oil painting "Heavenly Hollyhock" to another friend who is buying
another painting, a mini floral oil painting that comes with it's own display easel. I had intended to take a photo of her with her painting though I forgot to do that before she left with it in hand ... darn! Anyway here's a photo of that painting. She had it beautifully framed since then and loves it, which makes me very happy, of course!

I had my original oil painting "Rio Arriba" which is on 16"x20" canvas framed and it is now wired and ready to hand and available for purchase. Contact me at joanne@neelygomez.com if interested.

We met my cousin and her husband the first part of June at El Pinto in Albuquerque for dinner while they were on a "Jazz Tour" with their RV. I'm in the midst of doing a large oil painting of some of their honeymoon visit to Italy which was supposed to be a wedding gift although they've already celebrated their one year anniversary. No worries though we agreed to meet up September or October while we're visiting in California to deliver their painting.

Next in early June I finished my oil on 16"x20" canvas "Georgia's Ghost Ranch" and my Challenge 8
submission for "Let's Paint New Mexico". I really enjoyed this painting process as the sky changed a few times and I removed and then added more to the foreground a few times also. This painting is available for purchase also.

I had been looking everywhere for my small oil painting on 5"x7" watercolor postcard so that I could make prints as requested from a few friends and still have not been able to locate it. I may end up repainting it though here is a photo of the postcard when I finished it in January this year.

I began my Challenge 9 for LPNM and was having a bit of a hard time with
it, I'm not sure exactly why except that during the beginnings of this painting I was experiencing a bit of a feeling of loss finding out that my husband's bariatric surgeon would be leaving Lovelace and that would mean the end of our group meetings we have come to love and look forward to each week. This challenge took me quite a few sittings and "redos" but here is the photo of the finished painting "Corrales Casa Perea" oil on 8"x10" canvas which is also available.

My husband and I have been enjoying walks in The Bosque near
the river here in Rio Rancho and another near Fireman's Park in Albuquerque this summer. We try to go early in the morning as it's been very hot and the monsoons which have now begun usually hit in the afternoons. This way we get to have some good exercise and also enjoy the beautiful scenery (and I get some great reference photos for my paintings too). Here are some pictures, one while we were out on our walk mid June and the other at the farewell dinner for my husband's surgeon the end of June.

Here was my finished Challenge 10 for "Let's Paint New Mexico", my oil painting "Vineyards de Milagro" on 8"x10" canvas. I'm very happy with the way this one turned out.

Ending June I heard some wonderful news from two friends which led me
to some colorful, joyful paintings. The first one was acrylic poured and splattered on a wall hanging board I painted over before and then I spray varnished it. I call this one "Joyful Splatter" and it is on 8"x10" pressed wood board. The second was doodling like I used to do in high school and after, somewhat psychedelic. It is pastels, acrylic and sharpie pen which I call "Retro Lilly" on pastel paper and then spray varnished. Lastly the same day I began my original oil painting I had not yet named but will post that photo in the month of July's update when I finished it.

No comments: